- My neighbor posted on Facebook about having two large volunteer cherry tomato plants in her yard for the taking. I responded that I would take one, which was perfect timing as I have an empty flower pot that I’d just been thinking would be the perfect size for a tomato plant. I always regret the years when I don’t bother planting my own tomatoes. Hello, free tomatoes!!!
- I had everything I needed to make a pot roast yesterday except for the beef broth. I’m fighting a cold and really didn’t want to walk to the store as the sky had been threatening rain all day. However, I try not to drive for short errands, so I forced my stuffed-up self onto the sidewalk. I picked up my bullion cubes as well as a $3.99 loss-leader loaf of Tillamook cheese and trudged back home. My neighbor spied me and randomly offered to drive me the rest of the way. It was only for two blocks, but it was the best two blocks known to womankind.
- This Saturday is my husband’s 50th birthday, but there aren’t any days that he’s off from work other than today. So he and I will soon head out for his Birthday Day of Adventures. (We do the kid birthdays as a family, but we do my husband’s one just the two of us.) I have a filled up punch card for a free Mexican lunch, and will also be taking him to a new coffee shop that gave out cards for free coffees a few months ago. We’ll also stop at Ikea, where I’ll use my $20 store credit to buy frozen meatballs for tonight’s dinner. (His favorite!) My younger son turns seventeen next week, so we’ll do his Birthday Day of Adventures on Sunday. Sadly it’s raining, otherwise we’d go for a nice walk. Maybe it’ll clear up as the day goes on.
- Although I had a one-day Redbox code yesterday, I chose instead to find a movie to watch on Netflix. My sons and I ended up watching The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio which I absolutely loved. Based on her daughter’s memoir, this movie is about a mom of ten who entered and won contests to stay on top of her family’s finances. I won’t say too much about it, but I really enjoyed this movie. I went ahead and put the book on hold at the library, and I look forward to reading the detail that always gets cut for a movie. (My kids noticed the parallels with how I have so many side-hustles to earn extra money, although my reason is absolutely not because my husband drinks up his paychecks!)
- I took my son out to practice driving on Sunday and combined it with dropping items at both my mother and father’s houses. No reason to drive around aimlessly!
Now your turn. What frugal things have you been up to?
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Instagram.
Click HERE to join The Non-Consumer Advocate Facebook group.
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Pinterest.