Five Frugal Things
- Today’s breakfast was anchored by fried eggs, thanks to the woman visiting from China who stayed in one of my mother’s guest cottages. Why? Because she left her food in the refrigerator!
- I recently cancelled our newspaper subscription as the price had gone up to almost a dollar a day. There were just too many days when the paper was getting recycled without being read. This will save us $28 per month.
- We are still using the free shampoo that our neighbor didn’t like and gave to us. I don’t love it either, but it’s shampoo, not auto brakes! (One needs to function perfectly, the other doesn’t really matter.)
- The Chinese woman from my mother’s guest cottage left a really sturdy and attractive box from Coach Leatherware in the recycling, so I brought it home to store stuff in. (Because every non-consumer needs an illusion of excessive spending. 😉 )
- My husband’s high school friend is a shoe engineer for Nike. He’s been giving free soccer cleats to my ecstatic son who currently wears the sample size. Retail price? $200+ per pair!
- We are hiring my brother-in-law to built the missing trim surround for our 99-year-old built-in buffet. This is not going to be cheap, yet it needs to happen and we’ll be supporting a family member.
Now you. What frugal things have you been doing, and conversely have you been splurging?
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”