- I realized that everyone in my family secretly wanted to see the movie Monsters University, so I used the Redbox hold for pickup function to put the DVD on hold. I could have waited until we had a free code, but I figured that $1.25 to entertain a family of four was a pretty good deal. The movie was cute, and I can’t remember the last time that the four of us snuggled up and watched a movie together. It kind of felt like time traveling, as we spent countless hours spent watching Pixar movies when the boys were little. And $1.25 for time travel? Now that’s frugal!
- My son somehow signed up to referee four soccer games on Saturday. (Hooray for teens who earn their own savings and spending money!) And since there was a break in the middle of the day, I made sure to be smart about having to drive across town. So yeah, I stopped at the Goodwill near the soccer field. I found a few things to resell, including a $9.99 red Dansk enamel Kobenstyle casserole dish and a $12.99 Finel enamel roasting pan. I’ll put these up on eBay, and once again wonder if it’s time for me to open an Etsy store. I also bought a $3.99 large and wonderfully chunky vintage mixing bowl, which I’ll keep. Perfect for fruit, and I am already envisioning how great it will look filled with fluffy mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.
- My mother has been in the hospital for a scheduled surgery, and I spent a big chunk of time there yesterday. I made sure to eat before leaving the house, and also packed myself some snacks for the day. I did bring my refillable ceramic travel mug, but when I went down to the cafeteria for a $1.25 coffee, they were closed. And by the time they were open again, I was about to leave anyway. I could have used the caffeine jolt, as I am not used to sitting still in a hospital environment, but I did without and saved a buck-twenty-five in the process.
- I have the most enormous maple tree in my backyard, which is great in hot weather, but a burden come the autumn months. Unlike many Americans, I choose a rake over the loud and smog producing leaf blower. A rake never needs gasoline, and can’t be accused of waking all the neighborhood’s sleeping babies. Rakes may take a bit longer and be categorized under “physical exertion,” but isn’t physical activity a good thing?
- I received my eBates rebate the other day. I used Priceline.com when booking last month’s plane tickets to NYC, and had clicked through from eBates and was rewarded with a $7.43 kickback. I had kind of forgotten about it, so the money was a lovely little surprise. If you’re doing any online shopping or traveling this holiday season, I recommend that you create an eBates account to take advantage of every savings opportunity.*
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Twitter.
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Instagram.
Click HERE to join The Non-Consumer Advocate Facebook group.
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Pinterest.