The Dull Side of Life

by Katy on February 26, 2013 · 19 comments

Today I’m answering a million e-mails and have a to-do list that include such excitement as:

• Take the car in for a estimate to fix a big scratch.
  • Laundry
  • Laundry
  • Laundry
  • Litter boxes
  • Take plastics recycling to New Season’s
  • Make soup from leftover chicken.

So no long and well thought out blog post for today, no adorable DIY projects and no inspiring messages.

Just me, being an adult and taking care of the dull side of life.

Katy Wolk-Stanley

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”

Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Twitter.
Click HERE to join The Non-Consumer Advocate Facebook group.
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Pinterest.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Crystal February 26, 2013 at 11:18 am

My friends and I call it “putting your big girl pants on” when we have to suck it up and be adults. Lol

Enjoy the soup. 🙂

Katy February 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

Honey, all my pants are big girl pants.

Heather February 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Katy, that is amazing! I am totally stealing that 😀

Erin February 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

I don’t really find these things to be dull (except cleaning the litter box). I always feel like I’ve accomplished something when I can look in the laundry room and see the baskets are (mostly) empty. So put on your big girl panties and celebrate the simple accomplishments!! 🙂 Have fun.

Linda in Indiana February 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

Gotta have the dull sometimes to make the special even more special:)!

Renee February 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Sounds like my day except for maybe a little more laundry, I put it off for so long then tell myself it wont happen again only to let it happen again a week later…

AnnDenee February 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I find the mundane to be meditative.

Kailey February 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I actually started to hum “Takin’ Care of Business” by Bachman Turner Overdrive

Heather Mason February 26, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I’m surprised that you are parting with hard-earned cash to fix a scratch on a car! Not being critical, just surprised. Do you know how much you could buy at Goodwill for the price of a fixed scratch? 😉

Katy February 26, 2013 at 3:02 pm

“Scratch” is an understatement, as the scrape went past the paint and is starting to rust the car.

Heather Mason February 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I see 🙂 Bet that bill hurt 🙁

Kelly February 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

From someone who has to work full time (outside of my home) – I like to encourage women to enjoy the priveldge of staying home and caring for family and home! I believe it is our highest calling.

Katie February 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I actually find other people’s to-do lists kind of inspiring. 🙂

Sharon February 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I agree with Linda in Indiana. Miss Manners also says something similar: we need the rhythm of the everyday, and then the celebration of the different. Use the everyday plates for most days, and the good plates for special occasions (birthdays, holidays, Sunday dinner, what have you).

Plodding gets us most of the way to where we want to be: clothed in clean clothes, not overrun with trash, in a fresh smelling house, with happy cats. When I talk to homeschoolers about the project of educating their children, I always mention the virtue and value of plodding. Not every day is a party, and that’s OK.

Starr @ The Kiefer Cottage February 27, 2013 at 8:42 am

Ah, it happens. I’m finishing up a painting project, and I should be doing laundry..but our washer is acting dumb again and not spinning correctly. We looked into repairing it ourselves, and the parts will be $150. We can get a used washer for much less than that. Anywho, no fun. But that’s what my evening wine is for.

lisa February 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hiring a laundress probably doesn’t count as frugal in anyone’s budget. But, dang it, it’s my greatest dream.

Joy @ Joyfully Green February 27, 2013 at 10:00 am

When it comes to laundry, I always feel like I’m running on a hamster wheel–no end in sight!

Pollyanna February 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Reference the litter box — I am in the midst of toilet training our rescue cat… so far so good … gradual process, we are on day 16. I think she can do it!

tna March 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I toilet trained a couple of cats in the past. It worked great but my present cat is from a very large breed and he broke all the contraptions on the toilet to train on and he is very clumsy and would fall in the toilet all the time. So he has a litter box.

As for the dull side of life, I like it. Whenever people have been able to drag me to something glitzy and exciting I soon stray from the crowd and can be found outside enjoying the fresh air and sunshine or moonlight. To quote a song lyric, most times all I need is the air that I breathe….and a cat. >^..^<