If you’re looking for something you can do to support a healthy planet, may I suggest this one thing:
Stop buying poorly made and unnecessary stuff!
Overproduction of single use and unfixable consumer goods are causing heart breaking environmental harm to our planet.
- Fix instead of replace.
- Resist new electronic gadgetry. Make do with the functional things you already own.
- Buy used instead of new. Older goods are often better quality that new. (I’m looking at you, Ikea – Lord of the Particle Board!) Plus, it’s already in your community and doesn’t need to shipped across the country.
- Share and borrow life’s infrequently used household items.
- Turn a blind eye to flashy trends that exist solely to make us unhappy with what we already own.
- Appreciate the abundance of what you already own, and remember that you likely possess much more than many others on this planet.
- Consider joining the buy-nothing-new Compact, which I’ve been part of since 2007.
And unless you’re an alien life form with a reliable space ship, every day you spend on this planet is Earth Day.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Instagram.
Click HERE to join The Non-Consumer Advocate Facebook group.
Click HERE to follow The Non-Consumer Advocate on Pinterest.