- When Winco was selling two-pound packages of strawberries for $1.48, I made sure to buy the limit of four. I then whipped up a quickie batch of freezer jam. I don’t know about you, but I always run out of homemade jam sooner than I think I will. Slurp, yum, urp.
- I used a set of a dozen canning jars, which I bought at Goodwill still in their shrink-wrap. Not bad for $3.99. Because, duh . . . everything tastes better with Goodwill!
- I gifted a jar of jam to my next door neighbor, who returned the favor by giving us a big bowl of potato salad. And I learned that using large chunks of red potatoes and generous amounts of bacon make potato salad taste most very delicious!
- Yesterday’s work lunch was a combination of the Cinco de Mayo Mexican restaurant leftovers from myself and my two sons. When I mentioned this in the lunch room, one of my co-workers was completely disgusted and said that she “Never once has eaten from her kids’ plates.” I did not touch that one with a ten-foot fork.
- Portland, Oregon has been experiencing rare hot weather, so I walked down the boulevard on Sunday to treat the boys to Ben & Jerry’s ice cream cones. (Yes, my neighborhood is awesome!) I used a buy-one-get-one-free coupon and abstained from my own cone. Metabolism at age 45 is not very forgiving. Then again, it might be all the jam and bacon. Nahh . . . it’s probably just the metabolism.
Now you. What frugal activities have you been up to lately?
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”